Labels

The Best Way to Differentiate Between Mitosis & Meiosis for NEET 2027 Aspirants


The Best Way to Differentiate Between Mitosis & Meiosis for NEET 2027 Aspirants

The Best Way to Differentiate Between Mitosis & Meiosis for NEET 2027 Aspirants

Mastering the difference between mitosis and meiosis is crucial for NEET Biology. Here is a clear, side-by-side comparison with easy tricks to remember.

Mitosis vs Meiosis – Quick Comparison

FeatureMitosisMeiosis
PurposeGrowth, repair, asexual reproductionGamete formation, sexual reproduction
Cells InvolvedSomatic cells / body cellsGerm cells / reproductive cells
Number of Divisions1 division2 divisions (Meiosis I + Meiosis II)
Daughter Cells2 diploid cells (2n → 2n)4 haploid cells (2n → n)
Genetic MakeupIdentical to parent cellDifferent from parent due to crossing over
Crossing OverDoes NOT occurOccurs in Prophase I
StagesProphase is shortProphase I is long and complex

Easy NEET Trick to Remember

  • Mitosis = Maintenance → 2 cells, same
  • Meiosis = Make gametes → 4 cells, different

Save this post for quick revision before NEET 2027!