Labels

Difference Between Mitosis and Meiosis – Simple Guide for NEET 2027


Difference Between Mitosis and Meiosis – Simple Guide for NEET 2027

Are you struggling with the difference between mitosis and meiosis? Here’s a clear comparison with stages and important points.

🔥 Hot Points for NEET Aspirants

  • Mitosis: Growth and repair → produces two identical diploid cells
  • Meiosis: Sexual reproduction → produces four genetically unique haploid gametes
  • Meiosis has two divisions but only one DNA replication

Difference Between Mitosis and Meiosis

Feature Mitosis Meiosis
Definition Cell division for growth and repair, producing two identical diploid body cells Cell division for reproduction, producing four genetically unique haploid gametes
DNA Replication Once Once (before Meiosis I)

Stages Comparison

Prophase

Mitosis: Chromosomes condense, nuclear envelope breaks down, spindle fibres form.

Meiosis: Prophase I is longer and more complex. Homologous chromosomes pair up (synapsis) and crossing over occurs → genetic variation.

Metaphase

Mitosis: Individual chromosomes align at the equator.

Meiosis I: Homologous pairs align at the equator.

Meiosis II: Similar to mitosis.

Anaphase

Mitosis: Sister chromatids separate and move to opposite poles.

Meiosis I: Homologous chromosomes separate (sister chromatids remain attached).

Meiosis II: Sister chromatids separate.

Telophase & Cytokinesis

Mitosis: Two identical diploid nuclei formed.

Meiosis: Four unique haploid cells formed after Telophase II.

Hope this clears your confusion!
Save this post for quick revision before NEET 2027.