๐งฌ Cell Cycle and Cell Division — Class 11 Biology
A simple NCERT-focused guide to the cell cycle, interphase, mitosis, meiosis and important NEET Biology concepts, followed by quick revision points and practice MCQs.
The cell cycle is the sequence of events through which a cell passes from one division to the next. Cell division is essential for growth, development, repair and reproduction in organisms.
For NEET Biology, this chapter becomes much easier when you remember the sequence of events and understand what happens to the chromosomes at each stage.
1. What Is the Cell Cycle?
The cell cycle is an ordered series of events involving cell growth, DNA replication and cell division.
It can broadly be divided into:
- Interphase
- M phase or mitotic phase
Interphase
Interphase is the period between two successive cell divisions. It is not simply a resting phase. The cell remains metabolically active and prepares for division.
Interphase consists of three major phases: G₁, S and G₂.
| Phase | Major Event |
|---|---|
| G₁ | Cell growth and normal metabolic activity |
| S | DNA synthesis or replication |
| G₂ | Further growth and preparation for cell division |
G₁ → Grow
S → Synthesis of DNA
G₂ → Get ready for division
2. Mitosis: Equational Division
Mitosis is a type of cell division in which one parent cell produces two daughter cells. The chromosome number is generally maintained in the daughter cells.
Mitosis is therefore commonly described as equational division.
Major Stages of Mitosis
The major stages are: Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase.
Prophase
- Chromatin begins to condense into visible chromosomes.
- Each chromosome consists of two sister chromatids joined at the centromere.
- The mitotic spindle develops.
- The nucleolus gradually disappears.
Metaphase
During metaphase, chromosomes become highly condensed and arrange themselves at the equatorial plane of the cell.
Spindle fibres attach to chromosomes at the kinetochore region.
Metaphase → Chromosomes at the equator.
Anaphase
During anaphase, the sister chromatids separate and move towards opposite poles of the cell.
Once separated, each chromatid is regarded as an individual chromosome.
Telophase
- Chromosomes reach the opposite poles.
- Chromosomes begin to decondense.
- Nuclear envelopes reform.
- Two daughter nuclei are formed.
Cytokinesis
Cytokinesis is the division of the cytoplasm following nuclear division.
In animal cells, cytokinesis generally occurs through the formation of a cleavage furrow.
In plant cells, a cell plate develops between the daughter nuclei and eventually contributes to the new cell wall.
3. Meiosis: Reduction Division
Meiosis is a specialised type of cell division associated with the formation of haploid cells from a diploid cell.
It involves two successive divisions: Meiosis I and Meiosis II.
DNA replication occurs before Meiosis I, during the S phase of interphase. There is no additional DNA replication between Meiosis I and Meiosis II.
Meiosis I
Meiosis I is commonly called the reduction division because homologous chromosomes separate, reducing the chromosome number.
Prophase I
Prophase I is particularly important because it is subdivided into:
- Leptotene
- Zygotene
- Pachytene
- Diplotene
- Diakinesis
Synapsis
During zygotene, homologous chromosomes pair with each other. This pairing is called synapsis.
Crossing Over
During pachytene, crossing over occurs between non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes.
Crossing over contributes to genetic recombination.
Zygotene → Synapsis
Pachytene → Crossing over
Diplotene → Chiasmata become visible
Metaphase I
Homologous chromosome pairs arrange themselves at the equatorial region.
Anaphase I
Homologous chromosomes separate and move towards opposite poles. The sister chromatids remain together.
Telophase I
The chromosomes reach the poles and the first meiotic division is completed. Depending on the organism, nuclear envelopes may reform.
Meiosis II
Meiosis II resembles mitosis in several important respects. The sister chromatids separate during Anaphase II.
The overall process results in haploid cells.
4. Mitosis vs Meiosis + NEET MCQs
Important Difference Between Mitosis and Meiosis
| Feature | Mitosis | Meiosis |
|---|---|---|
| Number of divisions | One | Two |
| Daughter cells | Usually two | Usually four |
| Chromosome number | Generally maintained | Reduced by half |
| Synapsis | Absent | Present in Prophase I |
| Crossing over | Absent | Occurs during Prophase I |
๐ NEET Biology Practice MCQs
Q1. During which phase of the cell cycle does DNA replication occur?
A. G₁
B. S
C. G₂
D. M
Answer: B. S phase
Q2. Chromosomes are arranged at the equatorial plate during:
A. Prophase
B. Metaphase
C. Anaphase
D. Telophase
Answer: B. Metaphase
Q3. Sister chromatids separate during which stage of mitosis?
A. Prophase
B. Metaphase
C. Anaphase
D. Telophase
Answer: C. Anaphase
Q4. Synapsis occurs during:
A. Leptotene
B. Zygotene
C. Pachytene
D. Diplotene
Answer: B. Zygotene
Q5. Crossing over occurs during which stage of Prophase I?
A. Leptotene
B. Zygotene
C. Pachytene
D. Diakinesis
Answer: C. Pachytene
Q6. Homologous chromosomes separate during:
A. Anaphase of mitosis
B. Anaphase I
C. Anaphase II
D. Metaphase II
Answer: B. Anaphase I
Q7. Cytokinesis in plant cells involves the formation of:
A. Cleavage furrow
B. Cell plate
C. Centriole
D. Kinetochore
Answer: B. Cell plate
๐ฏ 60-Second Revision
G₁ → Growth
S → DNA replication
G₂ → Preparation for division
Metaphase → Equatorial arrangement
Anaphase → Sister chromatids separate in mitosis
Zygotene → Synapsis
Pachytene → Crossing over
Anaphase I → Homologous chromosomes separate
Cell plate → Plant cytokinesis
๐ Continue Your NEET Biology Preparation
This article is part of the NEET Biology for Odisha Students topic cluster. Continue with more NCERT-focused Biology notes and MCQs.
Explore NEET Biology Resources →Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cell cycle?
The cell cycle is the sequence of events through which a cell grows, replicates its DNA and undergoes division.
What happens during S phase?
DNA replication takes place during the S phase of interphase.
What is mitosis?
Mitosis is a type of cell division in which one parent cell generally produces two daughter cells while maintaining the chromosome number.
What is meiosis?
Meiosis consists of two successive divisions and produces haploid cells from a diploid cell, with chromosome number reduced during Meiosis I.
When does crossing over occur?
Crossing over occurs during pachytene of Prophase I of meiosis.